BCCA Integrated Membership Update 2017
The BCCA advocates at the provincial level on behalf of the four RCA’s and all employers in BC’s industrial, commercial, and institutional construction sector. As a Regional Construction Association (RCA) industry level member, your company becomes an integrated member of BCCA: in communicating your needs to your RCA, you have the opportunity to shape provincial efforts.
Our Vision: BC is home to a world-class construction sector that demonstrates exceptional productivity and resilience.
There are a record-breaking number of significant issues applying pressure to BC’s construction industry this year, and BCCA is working at the provincial level to make sure industry’s concerns and recommendations are heard loud and clear:
- Community Benefits Agreement
- TransCanada Pipeline
- Prompt Payment
- Small Business Taxes
- Employer Payroll Health Tax
- Tariffs & Quotas on Steel and Aluminum
- Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
- Skills Training
- AECON purchase by CCI
- ALR Land Regulations
- Opioid Abuse and Addiction
As our current Board Chair Alan Fletcher of AFC Construction writes in the BCCA Annual Report, in this climate it’s worth reminding ourselves that BCCA is a unique organization in BC’s construction sector, founded as it is on non-partisan principles and a spirit of collaboration and optimism. This sets us powerfully apart from other provincial construction organizations, allowing us to represent all employers in a fair and balanced way. At no time in recent memory has this been more significant a differentiator for us, as we have worked to respectfully move government forward on key issues listed above and others too numerous to mention here.
BCCA has led many provincial initiatives this year that shine a positive spotlight on our industry to the wider population. We successfully:
- Introduced BC’s first “Construction Month”;
- Hosted the World Bank’s Understanding Risk Symposium;
- Launched the Infrastructure Masterclass;
- Co-chaired the Deputy Minister’s Industry Infrastructure Forum;
- Continued to roll out the LNG Canada Trades Training Fund, Connect Program, Integrating Newcomers, and Skilled Trades Employment Program;
- Expanded BidCentral to the industry at large;
- Hosted the second annual BC Lion’s Salute the Trades Night;
- Launched Hard Hats and Hockey Sticks to attract young elite athletes to the trades;
- Won provincial funding from the Ministry of Advanced Education, Skills and Training to create and launch our innovative new Construction Workforce Equity Project, which will seek to improve the retention rates of tradeswomen in our industry.
SICA’s Angela McKerlich will be stepping up into the BCCA Board Chair position effective September 2018. Angela has done phenomenal work with the Governance committee during the past year, and we are looking forward to her continued commitment and leadership.
Thank you for your continued support: the integrated member companies from the RCA’s are at the heart of all we do.
Employees in BC’s construction sector (10% increase from last year)
Construction’s Rank as an Employer in BC’s Goods Sector
BC Construction Industry Contribution to BC’s GDP