Employment Liaison Specialist
The British Columbia Construction Association Integrating Newcomers (BCCA IN) program requires an organized individual with multi-tasking capabilities and outstanding communication skills to join our team in Nanaimo as an Employment Liaison Specialist, starting February 2019. BCCA-IN is a program that helps newcomers to Canada enter the construction workforce in British Columbia. Funded by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada, BCCA-IN facilitates the economic and social integration of immigrants approved for entry into Canada.
This Employment Liaison Specialist will take a lead role in assessment, skills development and career advancement of immigrants working in or aspiring to a career in the construction industry. Following referral from our Construction Skills Assessor, the Employment Liaison will develop and maintain relationships with eligible participants prior to their arrival in Canada, as well as develop and maintain close relationships with potential employers. Through these connections the Employment Liaison will assist participants and employers to bridge any employment needs and requirements to foster employment opportunities into the Canadian Construction Sector.
- Conduct regular appointments with clients through various virtual methods of communication to:
- Review and provide feedback to the client on their skills assessment, as assessed by the Skills Assessor
- Work with clients to determine how their skill set might fit into the Canadian workforce
- Help prepare construction-relevant resumes
- Answer settlement questions
- Assist with integration into community of choice.
- Identify job opportunities in the construction industry
- Assist with Foreign Trade experience recognition towards the BC certification process
- Assist with challenging level exams for certification
- Assist eligible participants into eventual employment placement
- Perform site visits with construction employers to identify employment requirements
- Assist employers with candidate screening
- Manage all client case files according to program requirements and deliverables
- Complete and submit all required reporting documents per program requirements
- Track and follow up on all action items related to the program(s) delivery
Skills, Knowledge, Abilities, and Attitude:
- Experience in employment counselling
- Awareness of employment trends and key projects within the region
- Experience working with new Canadians an asset
- Understanding of the BC apprenticeship system (Industry Training Authority)
- Proficient with Microsoft Office
- Fluent in a second language an asset
- Effective organization, multitasking and time management skills
- Excellent oral, written and communication skills are essential
- Knowledge of local employment service providers would be an asset
- Excellent problem solving and troubleshooting skills
- Valid Class 5 drivers license and vehicle
- This position does require travel
Please reply by email with cover letter, resume and references no later than 4:00 pm Friday, January 25, 2019 to Lesley Patten at email@example.com.