BCCA is the provincial voice of BC's construction industry.
Our vision is that British Columbia is home to a world-class construction sector that demonstrates exceptional productivity and resilience.
Our mission is to ensure that BC’s skilled workforce, resources, and regulatory environments exceed the needs and expectations of our industrial, commercial, and institutional construction employers.
From the jobsite to the boardroom we value community, safety, ethical and respectful business practices, fair market competition, and a pioneering approach to the future through leadership and innovation.
Your February Briefing
Here’s what you need to know.
- 2017 Best of Public Procurement award presentations continue
BCCA President Chris Atchison and VICA CEO Rory Kulmala presented a 2017 Best of Public Procurement Award to Vancouver Island Health Authority on February 14, 2018. Later that same day, the Defence Construction Canada Comox procurement team stopped by the BCCA office to accept their award from Chris and Rory. Please continue to share this content with your community!
- Chris is on his way to Smithers this week!
BCCA President, Chris Atchsion, will be in Smithers today to hand out the final 2017 Best of Public Procurement award! Stay tuned for pictures on our social media channels.
- Q&A with 2017 Best of Procurement honourees
After a 2017 Best of Public Procurement win, BCCA talked to Matthew Cronwiller, Manager Facilities Capital Construction, Vancouver Island Health Authority - South Region, about the cast of thousands who make up Vancouver Island Health Authority's procurement team and how they ensure best practices.
- Infrastructure Masterclass upcoming dates
- BC Construction Project Close Out Procedures - New Guidelines
Procedures Concerning Construction Contracts and Close Out of Projects. February 2018 update. Please circulate to your members.
- Attention BC Construction Employers, get STEP support!
STEP has been supplying BC construction employers with job-ready workers since 2006. STEP screens individuals on your behalf, and supports them by opening doors to employment – certifications, equipment, education, networking opportunities. Contact the STEP REPS near you to get connected.
- LNG Canada Trades Training Fund
The $1.5 million LNG Canada Trades Training Fund currently has less than $300,000 in funds remaining! This no-strings-attached opportunity for eligible apprentices across BC is worth sharing. Spread the news to your members who are supporting apprenticeship training.
- LNG Connect helps Northern BC's Construction Industry
Based in Terrace, Steven Bernard focuses exclusively on helping connect local construction employers with workers and potential workers in Northern BC. Get in touch with him today
- Build Force: Major projects stretch BC's construction workforce
The ramp-up of major projects starting next year, from planned pipeline to transportation and liquefied natural gas (LNG), may create significant recruitment challenges, with as many as 16,000 new workers needed over the next three years, according to the latest labour market forecast released by BuildForce Canada.
- We're hiring!
- Keeping up with Technology
BCCA will be at this year's #BCTECH SUMMIT: PUSHING THE BOUNDARIES OF INNOVATION to continue our efforts in exploring ways technology can benefit the construction sector.
- Construction and Skilled Trades Month - How to get involved
We're gearing up for the launch of Construction Month in April 2018! There will be many ways to get involved, but here's how to start.
- Nominate a woman in construction here.
- Provide your logo to show support for Construction Month website. Submit here.
Add your April events to the Construction Month website. Submit here.
- Co-host a contractor's breakfast. Grants available.
- Request one of 25 Construction Month Leadership Awards for a recipient of your choice.
- Post the Construction Month campaign logo on your company website.
- Order Construction Month pins. Quantities limited.
Contact Lindsay.Groves@bccassn.com with questions or requests for more information!
- Understanding Risk_Built Environment: World Bank UR+ symposium
BC’s industrial, commercial and institutional builders will join geological scientists and emergency management professionals in Victoria this spring to share perspectives on mitigating hazard risk and improving disaster resilience in the built environment. Get tickets and join the conversation.
- We're live for UR+ BC's Proposal Workshop
BCCA was live from the Inn at Laurel Point to host Understanding Risk in the Built Environment - Symposium Proposal Workshop. Watch here.
- BC Budget 2018: What the construction industry should know
"It’s an ambitious budget that is working hard to provide assistance to equity seeking groups, which we can all appreciate. But it’s likely to be hard on small businesses who will see increased expenses – this is concerning because employers already have a significant cost burden. “ Here's what you need to know.
- VICA's WiC: "She's the Boss!" Panel Session
"The biggest win is having people ask me for my advice. Knowledge -- making the effort to learn as much as you can -- that is the key for me. Dazzle them with knowledge." - Summer Green
BCCA attended VICA's February WiC Powerhouse Panel this month. The panel included: Carla Smith, President of CMF Construction Ltd.; Kyla Bidgood, Principal of Bidgood + Co; Suzette Goldworthy, Director of VI Firestopping Services Ltd.; Summer Green, Owner of Removal Remediation Services.
- BCCA response to the throne speech
The BC Construction Association is encouraged that the Speech from the Throne means good things ahead for all of BC’s tradespeople. Read more.
- BidCentral at BuildEx Vancouver
BCCA In The News